Traditionally, families have chosen to bury their loved one and there are several cemeteries in the Newcastle region. Some are council owned, others are looked after by cemetery trusts and there privately owned cemeteries as well. You can also choose a traditional grave with a monumental headstone or there are also lawn cemeteries that have a simple plaque.
City of Newcastle
The City of Newcastle manages three cemeteries - Wallsend, Stockton and Minmi.
1. Wallsend Cemetery (Sandgate Road, Wallsend)
2. Stockton Cemetery (Fullerton Street, Stockton)
3. Minmi Cemetery (Minmi Road, Minmi)
The above cemeteries do not have caretakers on site but arrangements can be made for cemetery staff to meet people on site if required.
There is a large cemetery at Sandgate which is operated by a privately appointed trust. Sandgate Cemetery is located at 116 Maitland Road, Sandgate and can be contacted on 02 4968 3602.
Lake Macquarie City Council manages nine cemeteries at the following locations:
1. Belmont Cemetery - Green Street, Belmont South
2. Catherine Hill Bay Cemetery – Northwood Road, off Flowers Drive, Catherine Hill Bay
3. Johnston Family Cemetery - Off Appletree Road, Barnsley
4. Morisset Cemetery - Off Nentoura Road, Morisset
5. Martinsville Pioneer Cemetery - Martinsville Road, Martinsville
6. Toronto Cemetery - Awaba Road, Toronto West
7. West Wallsend Cemetery - Cemetery Road, West Wallsend
8. Whitebridge Cemetery - Dudley Road, Whitebridge
9. Wyee Cemetery - Off Summerhayes Road, Wyee
Please note: Burials in Belmont, Johnston Family, West Wallsend and Whitebridge Cemeteries are only available for existing reservations.
Maitland City Council has a number of public cemeteries under its care and control. These are:
1. East Maitland
2. Campbell’s Hill
These cemeteries are operational for existing reservations only.
2. Hiland Crescent East Maitland
5. Jewish Cemetery East Maitland
Port Stephens Council's cemeteries range from quiet rural settings to more traditional urban surroundings and are located in the following suburbs:
1. Raymond Terrace Cemetery - Elizabeth Street, Raymond Terrace (monumental cemetery)
2. Seaham Cemetery - Off Wighton Street, Seaham (monumental cemetery)
3. Karuah Cemetery - Pacific Highway, Karuah (monumental cemetery)
4. Anna Bay Lawn Cemetery - Nelson Bay Road, Anna Bay (Lawn Cemetery)
5. Nelson Bay Cemetery - Stockton Street, Nelson Bay (monumental cemetery - only available for existing reservations)
There are also a number of private cemeteries in and around the region including;
1. Lake Macquarie Memorial Park (Ryhope)
2. Newcastle Memorial Parl & Crematorium (Beresfield)
3. Palmdale Lawn Cemetery & Memorial Park
4. Bishops Bridge Cemetery
5. East Maitland Roman Catholic Church Trustees
6. Lochinvar - Church of England & Roman Catholic Cemeteries
Right of Burial
A Right of Burial is an “exclusive” right granted by Council (or its predecessors) for use of a burial site. A Right of Burial gives that person (the Grantee), or any other person they nominate, the right to be buried in that portion of land (plot) over which they are registered owner of the exclusive Right of Burial.