The life of a loved one can be celebrated in many different and often unique ways.
There are three main styles of Funeral Services:
1. Full Service Funeral
This is a single service which can take place at one of our funeral chapels, a church, a memorial park chapel, or at the graveside. This service incorporates the final committal process. There is no procession to the cemetery or crematorium.
2. A Church/Chapel Service, followed by a Cemetery or Crematorium Service
This style of funeral begins with a service at a church or funeral chapel (or other place), followed by a procession to the cemetery or crematorium, where there is a final committal ceremony.
3. A Memorial Service
The memorial service takes place before or after a private burial or cremation at any of the places referred to above.
For the funeral service families usually choose a venue that holds significance for the family. The number of mourners expected to attend is often an important consideration when choosing a venue for a funeral. Services can be conducted by clergy, a civil celebrant or even a family member or friend.
The three main choices are:
1. House of Worship
Those who are involved in a church usually choose to have the service there. Pettigrew Family Funerals will liaise with the church to ensure all the necessary arrangements are made.
There are several private chapels (non-denominational) in the Newcastle region to hold the service.
We have three chapels located at:
1. Wallsend More Info →
2. Newcastle West More Info →
3. Belmont More Info →
There are also chapels at:
1. Lake Macquarie Memorial Park, Ryhope, Seating for 110 mourners
2. Newcastle Memorial Park, Beresfield, 2 chapels - North Chapel with seating for 100 and East Chapel with seating for 40
3. Palmdale Memorial Park, 2 chapels - Hillside Chapel with seating for 180 and Rose Chapel with seating for 80
Other venues we have used for funerals include:
- Registered Clubs - Examples are Redhead Surf Lifesaving Club, Waterboard Bowling Club, Newcastle Jockey Club
- Outdoors - Burwood Rotunda, Park (not council owned)
- The family home or property
- Glades Function Centre
- Rafferty’s Resort
- Glenrock Lagoon Scout Hall