The life of a loved one can be celebrated in many different and often unique ways.
There are four main styles of Funeral Services:
1. Full Service Funeral
This is a single service which can take place at one of our funeral chapels, a church, a memorial park chapel, or at the graveside. This service incorporates the final committal process. There is no procession to the cemetery or crematorium.
2. A Church/Chapel Service, followed by a Cemetery or Crematorium Service
This style of funeral begins with a service at a church or funeral chapel (or other place), followed by a procession to the cemetery or crematorium, where there is a final committal ceremony.
3. A Memorial Service
The memorial service takes place before or after a private burial or cremation at any of the places referred to above.
For the funeral service families usually choose a venue that holds significance for the family. The number of mourners expected to attend is often an important consideration when choosing a venue for a funeral. Services can be conducted by clergy, a civil celebrant or even a family member or friend.
4. Cremation only - Also known as "No service no attend"
This is the most simplest of options available where the cremation takes place and the ashes are returned to the family. This is usually at the bequest of the deceased who have conveyed their wishes beforehand. Some families choose to have a private viewing of their loved one before the cremation takes place, giving them time to say a personal goodbye.
The three main choices are:
1. House of Worship
Those who are involved in a church usually choose to have the service there. Pettigrew Family Funerals will liaise with the church to ensure all the necessary arrangements are made.
There are several private chapels (non-denominational) in the Newcastle region to hold the service.
We have two chapels located at:
1. Wallsend More Info →
2. Belmont More Info →
There are also chapels at:
1. Lake Macquarie Memorial Park, Ryhope, Seating for 110 mourners
2. Newcastle Memorial Park, Beresfield, 2 chapels - North Chapel with seating for 100 and East Chapel with seating for 40
3. Palmdale Memorial Park, 2 chapels - Hillside Chapel with seating for 180 and Rose Chapel with seating for 80
Other venues we have used for funerals include:
- Registered Clubs - Examples are Redhead Surf Lifesaving Club, Waterboard Bowling Club, Newcastle Jockey Club
- Outdoors - Burwood Rotunda, Park (not council owned)
- The family home or property
- Glades Function Centre
- Rafferty’s Resort
- Glenrock Lagoon Scout Hall